Words and Deeds
The above accusation is one of the most widely believed statement going around. On the face of it, there is no doubt it looks 100% correct as it indicates divergence between words and conduct or deeds. But, to understand it in the right context it is important to have a thorough analysis of the process comprising the elements of saying and doing and for that first we have to see what the words say and do mean.
Say: Utter words so as to convey information, an opinion, a feeling or intention, or an instruction.
Do: Perform (an action, the precise nature of which is often unspecified)
Now let us concentrate on the word Say.
Keeping in view the meaning of the word “say” as an example “Saying” may take place in the following situations:
1) An elderly person announces that he will celebrate the coming X-mas on Everest.
2) A politician announces his decision to make a certain law, on coming to power.
3) A person reiterates the statement or point of view of some other person that one should not work after retirement.
4) A person condemns the act of some other person allowing his daughter to marry of his own choice and declares that if she was her daughter he would have killed her.
Let us assume that the following actually happened:
1. The elderly person could not celebrate X-mas on Everest due to poor health.
2. The politician who declared the enactment of a law did not do that because of lack of majority.
3. The person who reiterated the statement of another person and supported him in his decision not to work after retirement got re-employed.
4. The person who condemned the conduct of another allowing his daughter to marry against father’s choice, himself agreed to allow his daughter to do so, having failed to persuade her even after threatening never to see her again if she married of her own choice.
Let us see what would have happened if the person saying something had gone for implementing the same.
In number one he would have either died in the attempt or forcibly prevented from doing.
In number two the politician would have been defeated if he had tried to pass the law.
In number three the person and his family could have suffered due to weak financial condition.
In number 4 the father would have killed the daughter and gotten arrested.
If we compare the two scenarios of doing and not doing what had been declared we see that not doing appears to be less harmful to the society than implementing the words spoken.
This might look illogical because in principle one should do what one says. So, why it is so, for knowing that let us take a module comprising saying and doing and make an analyses.
The most simple and commonly understood module comprising saying and doing is:
But, it is not necessarily the sequence that is followed. Following actions can take place:
1. A person may have a certain belief or thinks about any matter in a particular way, but that may stay with him without reaching the stage of saying or doing, due to following reasons:
a. He thinks it will make no difference or it is of no significance.
b. He lacks proper communication channel.
c. He is afraid.
d. He thinks he cannot carry out the same.
2. There may be many things people might say casually without thinking or any intention of doing it.
3. Similarly, the act of doing may be devoid of the element of thinking , saying or both.
As in number one, nothing happened and is intangible, it is of no use going in to its details. However, number two and three needs more probing.
A person’s belief remains enshrined in his mind all the time, and affects his conduct in many ways. He might say or do something according to those beliefs without a deliberate process of thinking or might say or do something on the spur of a moment. If the acts are not covered by the above hypothesis then the only explanation could be that either he acted due to sudden provocation and said or did things that he did not believe in or he is a lunatic or out of his mind.
The above discussion makes it clear that the acts of saying and doing need to be qualified for attaining the status of “Saying” and “Doing” in the context of the principle that one should follow what one says.
Going through each one of the above four situations individually it is quite clear that number one and two completely fit the module earlier narrated as far as saying is concerned. There appears to be a deliberate expression of intention of doing something after due process of thinking. But, due to events beyond control whatever was declared to be done was not done. In number three the person did not do what he declared to do may be because he said it on the spur of moment or due to the exigency of the situation at the time of doing. In the number four situation, the father did not kill the daughter, may be prevailed upon or due to love or compassion or he too made the statement on the spur of moment and without going through the process of deliberate thinking.
As an offshoot, it is necessary that whatever has been said and intended to be done must comply with the following conditions:
a) What has been said or planned to be done has passed through a deliberate thought process and is not merely based on a person’s general beliefs or occurred on the spur of a moment.
b) It is factually doable at the time of being said or at the time of doing.
c) It is within the capacity and ability of the person saying.
d) It is physically, legally, morally and ethically permissible.
Thus, rationally and objectively it can be said that only those statements / words that fulfill the above conditions should be scrutinized for deciding whether there had been any divergence between words and deeds.
About The Author
A practicing lawyer for seven years followed by a career in Human resource Management spanning more than twenty seven years in multinational companies. The inherited love of writing led to writing poetry since last thirty five years, and prose last more than twenty six years. A certified Ezinearticles.com expert author. An Internationalist by attitude, a Peace Activist by aptitude, and a strong believer in a peaceful, prosperous and joyous world based on the principles of Equality, Equity and Empathy. Join Tasneem on Facebook and Twitter.
Submit and interact!
@AnnieAmanda4: Dust bowl india pariwar mandatory referendum in passage to coin an benchmark entranceway chiropractic bummer in...
4 months ago from twitterfeed
@MSMUK: This Changes Everything: Social Signals, Your Website, and Google+ | @scoopit via @cendrinemedia http://t.co/ZwhIvHpatJ
4 months ago from Scoop.it
@cendrinemedia: Barcodes redefined! - via @cendrinemedia http://t.co/ThKqMoAWJZ #Barcode
4 months ago from Win the Customer
- 0 Tutorial: Increase signups to your Mailchimp newsletter in a few easy steps
- 0 The Secret Of Achieving That Goal You’ve Been Trying To For Years
- 0 Magento Website Development Service for Robust Ecommerce Store
- 0 Want to Help Your Customers to Search Your Store? Get Advanced Store Locator
- 0 What to Ask before appointing iPhone Application Development Company?
- Egan Medical: Since these home safety enhancements are practical as...
- Egan Medical: The reality is that by pushing flu vaccines...
- Egan Medical: It took a long an exhaustive search, but...
- Egan Medical: The Prenatal Cradle has a limited range of...
- Egan Medical: Both topical and oral vitamin D3 supplements can...